Obtaining a Marriage License
An Application for a Marriage License must be completed by either the groom or the bride at the office of the Clerk of the District Court. Information needed at that time includes date of birth and social security number for each party. There is a three (3) day waiting period after application is made before you may pick up the Marriage License. For example:
If you complete your application on a Monday, your license may be picked up the following Thursday or any workday thereafter;
If you complete your application on a Tuesday,your license may be picked up the following Friday or any workday thereafter;
If you complete your application on a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, your license may be picked up the following Monday or any workday thereafter.
A worksheet is issued when the application is made. All information must be completed and returned when picking up the license. The worksheet must be signed by both the groom and the bride, but either may turn it in to the office of the Clerk of the District Court and pick up the license.
The fee for the Marriage License is $85.50. Cash only – no checks or credit cards! The fee must be paid when the Marriage License is picked up.
The Marriage License will expire six (6) months from date of issuance. Whoever performs the ceremony will fill in the remaining blanks on the license (items 29 through 37). Your witnesses must be age 18 or older.
The original Marriage License must be returned to the office of the Clerk of the District Court within ten (10) days of the ceremony. We provide you with a duplicate copy of your Marriage License, and it is yours to keep as a memento of the ceremony. It does NOT serve as a certified copy. To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license you may apply to the Department of Vital Statistics in Topeka. You may go to http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/ to obtain information regarding Kansas vital statistics.
If you plan to request that your wedding be performed by a judge, please contact the District Court Clerk’s Office to schedule an appointment.
HOW DO I GET A CERTIFIED COPY OF MY MARRIAGE LICENSE
-Once the original license is returned to our office, you can request certified copies from the Kansas Department of Vital Statistics in the following ways:
1. Walk-in: Go to Curtis State Office Bldg., 1000 SW Jackson, Ste 120, Topeka, KS – hours open are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. weekdays. Payment can be made by cash, check, money-order, or credit card.
2. Internet: Access www.vitalchek.com anytime. Payment made by credit card. See webpage for fees charged.
3. Telephone: Call 1-877-305-6315 available 24 hours, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Payment made by credit card. Spanish interpreters available.
4. Regular/Priority Mail: Send request by regular mail or priority mail service. Payment made by check or money order. You can obtain the application on-line at:
Any questions please call: 785-296-1400
5. Download the App through your device app store. Search for “IKAN” (select IKan-State of Kansas). Payment made by credit card.